2 cups chopped red-skinned potatoes (2 large)
1 cup coarsely chopped carrots (2 medium)
1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery
1 clove garlic, minced
1 4 ounce can (drained weight) sliced mushrooms, drained
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
1/2 teaspoon dried sage, crushed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup frozen peas
1 3 ounce package cream cheese, cut into cubes
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine potatoes, carrots, onion, celery, mushrooms, garlic, thyme, sage, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle tapioca over vegetables. Top with chicken. Pour broth over mixture in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- Using 2 forks, tear chicken into strips. If using a low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in peas and cream cheese. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Stir well. Serve over split biscuits.
3 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon cream of tarter
3/4 cup butter
1 cup milk
- In a large bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cream of tarter. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add milk all at once. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing dough for 4 to 6 strokes or just until dough holds together. Pat or lightly roll dough until 3/4 inch thick. Cut the dough with a floured 2 1/20-inch biscuit cutter.
- Place biscuits 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in a 450 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.