How to Make Your Own All-Natural Disinfectant Spray

Earlier this week, I showed you the method I use to get unwanted labels off of containers.  I used this spray bottle as an example and now I have filled it with a homemade all-natural disinfectant spray.  I cut a new label out of vinyl with my Silhouette machine and attached it to the bottom!
To make your own, you will need water and a few different essential oils.  These can generally be found at a local health food store or online.
1 Cup Water
20 Drops Lavender Essential Oil
20 Drops Thyme or Eucalyptus Oil
10 Drops Tea Tree Oil
All three of these oils have antibiotic, antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties. Combined with water, they make up a great all-natural alternative to the commercial chemical-based sprays.
Simply mix all ingredients together in a spray bottle and spray on any hard surface.  Let dry!  I found this recipe in Simply Clean, DIY Solutions for a Naturally Clean Home.

Comments

1. says

And because of all those qualities, I usually put a little of all of them in a pot and breath in the steam for a while when i think I’m getting sick! Also 1 drop of one of them goes in my netti pot :D

2. Mia says

The only thing I would add is to be careful with Tea Tree Oil around cats; it is toxic to them. I use it for the counters, garbage pail and other places the kitties arent, but not on floors and in their areas, where they may contact it with the pads of their feet. Other than that Tea Tree is a wonderful disinfectant/antimicrobial!

• Mary says

There are no places that cats aren’t. They go anyehere they want to all the way up to the cieling if there is a place to hold onto. If its toxic to cats and you have them don’t use it.

• rachael says

thank you for mentioning that Mia, I wasn’t aware of that and sure glad I read that before I used this mixture to disinfect the cat box area!

• Catherine says

Thanks, Mia – I was about to post the same thing. This is the kind of information that should be posted – it’s always good to give folks a “heads up”.

3. Kathy says

Just recently learned it’s highly toxic to dogs if they lick it also. My little Yorkie had surgery recently, and i mentioned using Tea Tree Oil on her to repel bugs/flys etc., and was told there was a dog having it’s stomach pumped as we spoke…since said dog, had sores on it’s feet, thinking to help the dog, it’s owner put tea Tree Oil on the pads of it’s feet, and the dog licked it…not sure if it survived or not., but was told absolutely not to use, because it’s highly toxic to dogs…

• Karin says

They sell all sorts of stuff in the pet section.Doesn’t mean they are good for your animals.Look at all the recalls

• Michelle says

I used a flea drop that was “all natural” by the brand Sergeants a few years back that contained essential oils… it killed my cat. I later found out that essential oils are absorbed into the cat through the skin and the liver can’t handle the toxins, which causes liver failure. I also know of several cases where Hartz brand products killed animals. I don’t trust any health products they sell in the pet supply stores or pet sections of any store!!

4. Melissa stallings says

You can also use tea tree oil in homemade laundry detergent. I used half a bottle of tea tree oil in a 3 gallon bucket of homemade laundry detergent. It was a bit much but it worked and kept our skin in better condition. I might use a bit less next time.I love tea tree oil. It has so many uses.

• Dionna says

I found this Hand Sanitizer recipe in Prevention magazine.
      1/2 C Aloe, 1 1/2 t Witch Hazel, 15 drops Tea Tree Oil and 5 drops Lavender.
      It smells lovely, doesn’t cause excruciating pain to paper cuts like other sanitizers and is fun to make. It didn’t say anything about shelf-life.

5. Vicki says

I use a spray just like this when I work at the hospital. I keep a small bottle on me and spray myself to keep the germs away since I opt out of the chemocal laden flu shots. It works great!

• Linda says

I wish I could opt out of the flu shot at work also, I guess I can if I want to wear a mask for 6 months. I still bring my EO’s to work and diffuse them in the air.

6. Bing says

I have several bottles of this made up, even small bottles to use in our vehicles. I spray sinks, toothbrushes, kitchen sponges, toilet handles, door knobs…..anything that needs to be disinfected which is most everything! I like to try many different EO’s and now citrus EO’s are a favorite. Ordered tangerine and it is heavenly!

7. Lori says

Is there an alternative to tea tree oil since I have animals? I don’t want to chance them getting it into their system since it’s toxic to them.

8. Susanna says

I have a cat and a dog so am wary about the tea tree- and I have a close friend who is allergic to lavender -though I love it. Any ideas for substitutes ? Also citrus might not be good on a sealed floor,

9. Mchael says

For those with pets, you may want to consider using a 50-50 mixture of water and hydrogen peroxide. It’s a great disinfectant, too, and with the dilution, shouldn’t harm your pets at all.

10. Melonie says

I use a hydrogen peroxide/water mix as part of my cleaning and disinfecting arsonal, like the idea of adding the extra oils for their properties (except the tea tree, I have a zoo at my house!), is there any danger of adding the oils to the peroxide/water mix??

11. says

It’s not the most pleasant topic, but germs are pretty common around the house. To prevent illnesses and bacteria from spreading to you and your family, it’s important to disinfect liberally. It’s good to use natural disinfectants. Hydrogen peroxide comes in a brown bottle because it’s extremely light sensitive. So leave it in the original bottle! Instead of transferring the liquid to another spray bottle, simply put a nozzle on the brown bottle from the store. Fill an empty spray bottle with undiluted white vinegar. Hold your hydrogen peroxide bottle in one hand and vinegar bottle in the other. Mist the surface you’d like to disinfect with the hydrogen peroxide and then follow up with a mist of the vinegar. Get more details at : http://www.familyheritagehouse.com/home-made-disinfectants-can-help-you-to-take-care-of-your-house/

Trackbacks