How to Clean Stainless Steel Without Harsh Chemicals or Products

How to Clean Stainless SteelStainless steel, so shiny and beautiful when clean! But if you own big appliances made of this elegant material, you know they are prone to show even the softest of fingerprints!

However, did you know that harsh chemicals and expensive products are not needed to keep your fridge and other appliances looking brand new!?

All you need is a microfiber cloth and some water! The more I use microfiber, the more I love it! Just wet part of the cloth, squeeze the excess moisture out and wipe your stainless steel appliance. Buff with the dry part of the cloth and fingerprints are gone!

To keep things nice and sparkling, I recommend adding this task to your daily cleaning schedule if you own big stainless steel appliances!

Comments

1. says

That’s some serious shine! Amazing that it’s so simple!
    I’m going to go wipe down our stove right now. :)
    I need to work on cleaning my windows soon, too. Our kids like Crayola window markers, and I like them, too… but the erased artwork leaves very messy & smeered views!

2. Diane says

I have water marks on my SS dishwasher and fridge from the kids getting water out of the dispenser. How can I get those off for I’ve tried just about everything?

• Andrea says

I find that if you wet a microfiber cloth with vinegar and rub over the surface of the SS appliance, then dry it off with kitchen roll afterwards the water marks dissapear

3. says

I love using Microfiber and I find Norwex microfiber cloths are one of the best. They have a 60 day money back guarantee and a 2 year warranty. Plus they have silver in the fibers that’s keeps the cloths bacteria free. They work amazing on the stainless steel appliances and everywhere else in the house.

4. Sandi Barker says

I, quite by accident, have found WD40 to be THE BEST product for stainless steel appliances. I have bought so many products. Each being a bigger disappointment then the last. It shines in just beautifully and even repels, somewhat, fingerprints. Try it, and let me know what you think!

• Marcella Guldimann says

Sandi, I whole-heartedly agree! WD40 is great on SS appliances. I discovered it after my new cleaning lady (god bless her!) made them shine like new by using it. Since then it’s a staple in my house for all those pesky SS with fingerprints and splatters. Who knew?! I have spent so much money on other stainless steel cleaners, even tried car stuff with mediocre results. No more; WD40 is my new best friend.

5. Karin says

The only thing I use on my SS refrigerator is Pledge dusting spray. Cream of tartar works, but it is more expensive, and time-consuming. Pledge works on wood, leather, Corian, and many other surfaces. To clean a greasy SS stove, I first use Barkeepers Friend for SS, wipe it clean, and then polish and shine with Pledge. What everyone fails to mention is that all this “miracle” solutions take A LOT of elbow grease.

6. Lynne says

I clean my stainless steel appliances by applying a small amount of baby oil (any brand will do) to a soft cloth. Wipe down the appliance. Apply some club soda to a paper towel or soft cloth and rewipe. Buff lightly.

I have found that even if I don’t wipe the baby oil off with the club soda, my fridge and dishwasher look great!

7. Leighanne says

What about the stain that comes from the water and ice dispenser? I never see a drip running down, but there must be one, because I have a very stubborn stain buildup, probably from chemicals in my water.

• Andrea says

A small amount of vinegar on some kitchen roll should remove it, as the stain is a build up of calc the hard water chemicals, vinegar is great at removing calc from almost everything, I even boil vinegar in my kettle when there is a build up, leave it to soak for an hour rinse and re boil with clean water, the calc is totally gone from inside my kettle, I also use vinegar on the SS Taps in the kitchen and bathroom, rinse and wipe with kitchen roll, they look brand new when I have finished

8. Kathy says

I have tryed regular Pam on a soft cloth for water marks on stainless steel, it works great! So does wd40, but no smell

Trackbacks